The forester is responsible for procuring low cost, high quality and timely required volumes of fiber for the Alpena mill. This includes purchasing timber, coordinating delivery of chip suppliers, overseeing contractors related to fiber purchased under management agreements, and administering all related contracts. Managing the FSC chain of custody system to maintain certification. Provides advice and training to less experienced Procurement Representatives.
Bachelor’s degree in forestry or related area required.
• 5 years forestry/procurement experience.
• 2 years supervisory experience
• In-depth knowledge of forestry principles, wood quality, timber marking, and harvesting equipment.
• In-depth knowledge of contracts and legal terms.
• In-depth knowledge of products specifications and pricing.
• Strong communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
• Good project management skills.
• Ability to read and interpret compass, maps, and aerial photographs.
• Ability to identify key market indicators and understanding of market trends
• Driver’s license required
• Ability to utilize required software.